This classic dish with a cheesy flavour is an all-time favourite. So if you liked the simple flavours of saute’ vegetables, you can very easily graduate to Vegetables au gratin. The added protein and calcium from milk and cheese, that this recipe’ uses, increases this dish’s overall nutrition quotient by many many folds.
Note: Feel free to use any seasonal European vegetable—- this list is only indicative.
French beans-100 grams
Peas shelled or snow peas-100 grams
Salt and Pepper to taste
Wheat flour–2 tablespoon
Milk-500 grams (at room temperature)
Cheese Cheddar-50 grams (grated)
1. Wash the vegetables thoroughly.
2. Wherever needed, cut in bite size pieces.
3. Steam all the vegetables together in a Microwave steamer for 5 minutes.
4. Make the White Sauce in a pan, i.e. put the butter in a pan on the flame and after the butter melts, add the flour.
5. Gently mix the flour with the butter making sure that the flour DOES NOT turn brown. Switch off the heat source and let the mixture cool down.
6. When it comes to room temperature, gently add the milk (also at room temperature) and mix well to ensure that no lumps are formed.
7. Return this to the fire.
8. Add the cheese and a bit of salt.
9. As soon as the mixture thickens, your white sauce is ready.
10. Add the vegetables to the white sauce and mix well.
Your vegetables au gratin is ready.
Preparation time; 10 minutes
Cooking time: 7 minutes
Total: 17 minutes
If you enjoy reading this, please click on the like button or leave your comments below